Sunday, October 15, 2006

hell-aday in cambodia ir the phantom spider

so i'm in cambodia and i;m gonna keep it short and messy because i'm on a keyboard with almost no letters, and yes dial up...

wow i heard that God lives in cambodia but so far my experince here blows. really it is just the painfully bad border crossing and border town.

it is a panicky feeling, like a mis-srep in a pool, or a rouse wave that tumbles you over and under face planting you in a sand bar before spitting you onto the beach bikini falling off. it is running the gaumet from the thai border throughe no man's land and into the extreme poverty of cambodia itself.

i was ripped off at the border for the price of my visa, i was surrounded and intemidated by cambodian men wanting me to through money out to them for doing nothing. it was the overwhelming rush of sick chilkren and amputees grabbing me, begging as i am lead into the police station by police wearing undershirts flip flops and gold chains. it id my motor blke driver wanting to give me a tour of a shit hole border town, it is pressure of changing $$ and getting ripped of ny the rates. it is commen practice of crossing into a third world country that i had forgotten about. it is my driver trying to make me pay for toll crossings and then demanding a tip from me. it is walking around in my fair skin with my back pack making me a target of welth in a poor poor country.
i do feel for these people, the poverty here is devistating, but at the same time it is a hell of a game to play.
it could have been worse, but it could have been better. it is a game that i had forgotten the rules to, but it's okay.

i forget that in 3rd wolr, poor 3rd world shit doesn't work, they are not on an american time standard, and they want your money more than anything.

the 10 hour bus ride through the country that looked as if it was created by landmines calmed me. the friendliness of the villagers at the numerouse ferry crossings helped sooth me, and finally wandering the streets of phnom phen has relaxed me.

so no worries, espically to me very worried sisters, life is lovely again.

i am taking a motorcycle tour of the city and going to see the killing fields. there is so much amazing history to this place, so much amazing things happenng today.

oh the spider...as many of you know i HATE spiders, i just can't say enough about that. in the first hout of our drive a wpman upfront started yelling stop stop!

we pulled over and she described this "spider" that sounded more like a tarantula...yeah i wawtched the floor as much as i watched the roadside. luckily the spider wasn't spotted again, i think i would have gladely gone through the window if it had been near me.

someone told me that God lives in Angkor waht, i'm planning on goiung there tomorrow and finding him.

4 comments:

Rebecca Fountain said...

These are my worries of 3rd world countries.. People that assume your rich because you left your land to visit their's. So they mall you at every chance they can- trying to sell you penny gum for $5 then cussing you out when you won't buy it cuz their cousin stoled your wallet.

Rebecca Fountain said...

kristineadams said...

hey superstar that was basicaly my day. i am all about world travel, and i'll tell you don't ever come here, unless you come with me! i'll protect you!

Anonymous said...

Kris, this is all so amazing I'm practically speechless. You are one tough cookie.
By the way, teaching is a real job.
Be safe.