Sunday, November 12, 2006

RIP locals

i have found that there is a certain poibt in time where every long term commitment/re;ationship comes to be tested. after many years the support that was once firm and strong has been worked thin with holes, it isn't quite as comfortable, and the trust is going. but do you really want to move on? there is a comfortbility, an understanding. why give up what you know and therefore love for a future that can't yet be told?
all of this has been going through my mind. as you know if you've been reading my blogs i have a very serious problem in my flip flops. we have been together for several years, we have traveled the world, stepped into several oceans, slipped on numerouse surfaces, squished excotic bugs together...so many memories, is it really time for them to go?
while walking the parade filled streets of chiang mai i suddenly was struck with a sharp angry pain in my right big toe, i jumped and lifted it off the ground only to see a rusty nail hanging from the bottom of flip my right flop. i pulled the nail out, it had gone all the way through the rubber, and inspected my toe for a puncture, dreading the thought of a tetnus shot...when was the last time i had it? how long does it last?
well thankfully the nail didn't break the skin, like seat belts i have a thick calluse that protected the soft part of my foot from the bad collision. so it was deceided then and there, flip and flop were out. they may still love me, but our lives had grown apart, they no longer wanted to support me, and keep me safe, so i had to put them down.
there was some thought in giving the a burial onthe mekong, but that was forgoten as soon as the closest trash bin wasin sight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saying good bye is always hard... I understand your pain and I don't really even like flip flops


xoxox Bec

Anonymous said...

move on and never look back. If you happen to look back, it is just to remind you to be thankful that those things happened in your life and that the past is there only for you to realize that you are a much better person now and not for you to repeat the mistakes. Been there, done that....oh, and focus on something or someone you trully love. In my case , it is Kyra Zyreen.
take good care of yourself,
rikross

Anonymous said...

Oh, I get so sentimental about stuff like that. I can't believe you've been trekking around SE Asia with those things! But I guess thats what you usually wear around SF anyway. Similar kinds of scary stuff on our streets. Hope you find another good pair!

Anonymous said...

Jesus! They're just flip-flops!